Discovering Orthodox Christianity, a 26-part series of talk shows and Bible Studies produced by Greek Orthodox Telecommunications, (GOTelecom) and designed to educate viewers about the basic teachings of Orthodox Christianity, was made possible with a $270,000 grant from Leadership 100 Endowment Fund.
Five of the programs are presented by His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios and were videotaped at the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese headquarters in Manhattan while the remaining twenty-one were videotaped with a variety of presenters at Holy Cross Chapel on the grounds of Hellenic College Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology.
The series debuted on http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/discovering and on www.YouTube.com/greekorthodoxchurch November 4, 2013 with "What is Orthodox Christianity?" featuring Rev. Dr. Thomas Fitzgerald and Rev. Dr. John Chryssavgis.
All of the programs were developed by GOTelecom Senior Producer/Director Nicholas J. Furris and Managing Director of GOTelecom, Marissa P. Costidis, with input from Stavroula Savelidis. The production team worked closely with the Director of the Department of Religious Education, Dr. Anton Vrame, to identify show topics and experts in those fields. Staci Spanos, newscaster from Jacksonville, Florida, served as the host, engaging the guests and inspiring thoughtful and educational discussions.
“We are extremely grateful to His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios and Leadership 100 for recognizing the opportunity to use video and subsequent dissemination in multiple platforms to educate and inform our faithful and all people who are interested in the Orthodox Faith. Leadership 100 has always supported the work of GOTelecom, and in this day and age we have so many more ways of getting our message of Christ’s love out to an international audience,” said Nicholas Furris.
The programs are also highlighted on GOTelecomTV through WhereverTV, the only Greek Orthodox channel offered. The Channel is free on both Internet and television and features past GOTelecom productions, including Greek Orthodox religious, cultural and educational programs. WhereverTV, a cable television service, uses the Internet instead of cable wires or satellite dishes to deliver television programming and can be watched either by streaming content directly to a PC or iPad or by using a ROKU Box streaming device connected to a television. There is no installation needed as long as a wireless Internet connection already exists.
To learn more about WhereverTV’s GreekTV service, an interested viewer can visit: http://greek.wherever.tv or call WhereverTV at 412-663-0094 or email email@example.com . The programs are also available as a complete set for parish and ministry education and can be obtained by contacting GOTelecom at 212-774-0244. The programs will also be available through social media, list servers, blogs and podcasts.
His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios presents programs 11, and 23 to 26, as follows: 11- The Ecumenical Patriarchate – Aspects of Past and Present; 23-An Interpretation of Psalm 8 – A Bible Study; 24-An Interpretation of the Gospel of Luke, Chapter 19, Verses 1-10 – A Bible Study; 25-An Interpretation of St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans, Chapter 8,, Verses 31-39 – A Bible Study; and 26-An Interpretation of the First Epistle of St. John, Chapter 4, Verses 7-16 – A Bible Study.
The other programs and presenters are:
- What is Orthodox Christianity? - Rev. Dr. Thomas Fitzgerald and Rev. Dr. John Chryssavgis
- The Bible in the Orthodox Church – The Old Testament -Rev. Dr. Harry Pappas
- The Bible in the Orthodox Church – The New Testament - Rev. Dr. Eugen Pentiuc and Dr. Bruce Beck
- Worship in Life - Rev. Dr. Alkiviadis Calivas and Rev. Dr. Philip Zymaris
- The Orthodox Liturgical Year - Rev. Dr. Philip Zymaris and Rev. Fr. John Vlahos
- The House of God – Iconography - Dr. Helen C. Evans and Dr. Anton C. Vrame
- The House of God – Architecture, Vestments the Religious Articles -Dr. Helen C. Evans and Dr. Anton C. Vrame
- Music in the Orthodox Church - Archdeacon Panteleimon Papadopoulos, Dr. Vicki Pappas and Dr. Grammenos Karanos
- The Early Church - Dr. Demetrios S. Katos and Dr. James C. Skedros
- The Modern Church – the Growth of the Orthodox Church in America -
- Fr. Mark Arey and Dr. Anton C. Vrame
- Orthodoxy and Other Faith Tradition -His Eminence Metropolitan Methodios of Boston and Rev. Dr. Demetrios Tonias
- Orthodoxy: Faith In Action - His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit and Rev. Fr. John Vlahos
- The Orthodox Stance on Moral the Social Issues - His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit, and V. Rev. Dr. Nathanael Symeonides
- Saints and Martyrs of the Orthodox Church - Rev. Dr. John Chryssavgis and Dr. James C. Skedros
- The Changing Orthodox Family - Rev. Fr. Constantine L. Sitaras and Presbytera Kerry Pappas
- Orthodoxy and Our Youth - Rev. Fr. Jason Roll and Eva Kokinos
- Ministering to our Elderly -V. Rev. Dr. Nathanael Symeonides
- Orthodoxy in a New Media Age - His Eminence Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh and Theo Nicolakis
- Faith and Pop Culture - His Eminence Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh
- Patristics – The Fathers of the Church - Rev. Dr. John Chryssavgis and Dr. James C. Skedros
- The Ethics of Orthodoxy - His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit and Rev. Dr. Mark Sietsema